Yeah, so…as much as I have always loved True Blood, even when others didn’t, this season disappointed me. I haven’t felt motivated to blog about it for most of the season. Anyone who’s read my blog knows I went from trying to blog everything to only blogging the shows that made an impact on me. True Blood has always been one of those shows. I’m just going to skim through my thoughts on these episodes.
One thing that I’ve always loved about True Blood is its fast pace. Each season, the 10-13 episodes take place over a time span of a week or two. This season I feel like that pacing backfired BIG time. All it did was make Sookie look like a callous cold-hearted slut. The time span between Alcide (who she admitted to loving just not as much as he did) dying to her jumping into bed with Bill was about three whole days.
Why couldn’t there have been a time jump here? Why rush Bill’s Hep-V? After Arlene had been rescued, there could have been a small time jump here. Bill’s illness could have progressed and Sookie, feeling guilty, could have been taking care of him and their relationship could have progressed slowly from there. The way the show handled it was SO disrespectful to Alcide’s character. As to Bill’s reason for refusing the cure…does he not have any willpower? If Eric can stay away from her, why can’t he? If temptation is so great living so close to her, MOVE! He spent a couple hundred years living somewhere other than Bon Temps, why can’t he do it again?
I’ve never really been a Bill/Sookie or a Eric/Sookie shipper. It’s pretty obvious that I’ve always been firmly on Team Alcide and not just because Joe Manganiello is pretty to look at either. Alcide (in the show, anyway) was always there when Sookie needed him and he never used her. In the books, …well I liked Quinn but since he wasn’t on the show…I guess I kind of hoped she’d end up with Bill. Book Bill wasn’t as much of an ass as TV Bill though. At this point, I’d rather have seen her with Eric. They had a much better relationship. I just feel like they’ve ruined Sookie a bit this season.
As for the other storylines:
- I’m glad Hoyt came back and that he and Jessica got back together.
- I don’t like how they handled Tara this season either. An off-screen death and then ghost!Tara? I understand the reason for the gun story but I feel like Tara deserved better.
- I’m glad Lafayette and Arlene are happy but would have like to see them more.
- Willa was a take her or leave her character but it would have been nice to see what happened to her. I know she was in the background of a couple of scenes but she was wasted too.
- I loved most of Eric and Pam’s scenes. The flashbacks were especially hilarious. Favorite scene of these episodes has to be Eric and Ginger.
- I was glad to see some character development with Jason. So glad Violet is gone.
- I’m glad Big John got out of the kitchen and got to speak. 🙂
It sounds like I haven’t enjoyed this season at all and that’s not true. I shed tears and laughed. I’m just a bit disappointed.
Photo Credit: TV Tag and HBO